Any interpersonal relationship can have issues. Our relationships with those around us help build and shape our personality. They influence our beliefs, our opinions, and the way we act in a variety of ways. Humans are social beings and it is almost impossible for us to function without social interactions. Interpersonal relationships can be briefly defined as interactions between individuals that involve emotional, social, or romantic bonds. Now, it won’t be such a huge surprise if these interactions come across some obstacles, we will discuss these obstacles and how to deal with them here.
What Are Interpersonal Relationships?
Humans interact with hundreds of people every day, while we travel, while we go to the market, or while running errands. However, we do not necessarily have any relationship with them. Interpersonal relationships are only established between individuals that interact with each other on an emotional, social, or romantic level. These relationships can vary from casual to deep connections. Hence, these relationships are bound to run into problems now and then and we need to be prepared to deal with them.
What are some Interpersonal Relationship Issues?
Interpersonal Relationship Issues can be referred to as problems that arise between two individuals in a relationship. The common issues are discussed here:
- Communication Problems – Communication problems arise when partners either fail to listen to the other person or they fail to put forth what they are trying to say effectively. These issues can lead to resentment and a lack of connection between individuals. And eventually, the two individuals might drift away from each other.
- Trust Issues – Trust is the foundation of any relationship. Lack of trust can lead to betrayal, and resentment and it can weaken the bond in the relationship. Trust issues may be a result of past experiences, betrayal, or dishonesty.
- Disagreements – Difference in opinions, thoughts, or values is what makes each individual different from the next and are very common in interpersonal relationships. However, the problem arises when these differences of opinion are not accepted or delivered effectively.
- Violation of Boundaries – When two individuals fail to respect each other’s boundaries, it can lead to problems within that relationship. Violating privacy, or invading personal space can negatively impact an interpersonal relationship.
- Lack of Connection – Issues with physical or emotional intimacy can hurt relationships. Usually, when two individuals lack an emotional or physical connection, they are likely to detach from each other.
- Different Goals – Usually when two individuals have very different goals or very different growth rates, they are likely to drift apart. Different goals imply reduced compatibility and hence can impact that relationship in the long term.
- Major Life Changes – Major changes in lives such as career change, emigration, or the birth of a child can cause stress in a relationship. These changes can induce stress and have a negative impact on a relationship.
Signs and Symptoms of Interpersonal Relationship Difficulties
Interpersonal relationship problems can manifest themselves in various ways. Recognizing these issues is crucial to solving these issues for better interactions and relationships.
- Ineffective Communication – If you find yourself constantly struggling while communicating with an individual, such as difficulty expressing thoughts or emotions, or frequent misunderstandings, then it may be a sign that you are going through some interpersonal difficulties.
- Constant Conflicts – Conflicts are a normal part of any relationship. But, if you constantly find yourself in conflicts with people and if these conflicts do not resolve and instead become worse i.e., involve heated arguments or personal attacks, then that might become a topic for concern.
- Lack Of Trust – A sense of mistrust toward individuals, that may lead to doubt, skepticism, or suspicion is a sign that you may notice if you are going through difficulties in your interpersonal relationships.
- Emotional Disconnect – Feeling a disconnect from people around you can lead to isolation. There could be a lack of emotional support, self-isolation, or a general feeling of disconnect or indifference when an individual is going through interpersonal difficulties.
- Withdrawal – Individuals going through interpersonal difficulties in relationships, tend to usually withdraw from or avoid being a part of conversations or interactions that they previously used to partake in. Either one or both individuals may avoid addressing the issue and may exhibit passive-aggressive behavior.
- A feeling of Dissatisfaction – If you are having interpersonal relationship difficulties, then it is possible to feel a constant feeling of dissatisfaction or happiness within that relationship. This could be because that relationship lacks emotional or social intimacy.
How to Deal With Interpersonal Relationship Issues?
It is not easy to overcome interpersonal relationship difficulties but it is not impossible either. Overcoming these difficulties requires effort, time, and patience from all the individuals involved. Here are some ways that can help you overcome these issues:
- Honest Communication – Communication is the key to any healthy relationship. It is extremely important for an individual to communicate effectively in order to improve their relationship. Clearly express your thoughts and emotions while also actively listening to the other individual.
- Identify the Underlying Cause – If you come across issues in your interpersonal relationships, identify the reason for those issues. Recognize your personal triggers, conflicts, stressors, or past experiences that could be behind these issues.
- Take Accountability – Every individual needs to be accountable for their own actions, and so do you. If you make a mistake or say something that you did not intend to, then immediately recognize that, address that, and make the amends necessary.
- Work On Empathy and Understanding – If you are unable to recognize or acknowledge your mistakes, then try to see the situation from the perspective of the other individual. Try to be empathetic and understanding of their feelings and experiences. This can help cultivate compassion and help you be more productive in a conversation.
- Seek Professional Help if Needed – If these difficulties persist and start affecting the most basic, daily activities of your life, it is time to seek help from a professional who specializes in relationship issues.
Interpersonal relationships, in a lot of ways, govern our lives and our actions. Since humans are social beings, they need interactions with other humans more than they realize. And if these interactions are not effective, they could impact our lives negatively. However, by looking at the reasons why these problems occur, it is possible to solve these issues for more effective communication in relationships. These problems can arise in any kind of relationship such as friendships, between colleagues, or even romantic relationships.
Relationships are complex, and it’s natural for issues to arise along the way. If you have any queries regarding Relationship Counseling experienced therapists at CoupleMantra can help: Book a trial couple therapy session.